May 14, 2010

Post 6 Libraries were outside the city of Rome

During Roman Empire, there were outstanding libraries which were built outsides the city of Rome.

The Library of Hadrian at Athens

Hadrian, one of five good emperors in Roman Empire and nephew of Trajan, built the Library of Hadrian in AD 132 on the North side of the Acropolis of Athens. The library was a typical Roman forum architectural style, having only one entrance with a propylon of Corinthina order, a high surrounding wall with protruding niches at its long sides, an inner courtyard surrounded by columns and a decorative oblong pool in the middle. The library was on the eastern side where rolls of Papyrus were kept. Adjoining halls were used as reading rooms, and the corners served as lecture halls.


This photo shows remains of Hadrian library at Athens.

The Library of Celsus at Ephesus

The library of Celsus in Asia Minor, Ephesus in Turkey, was built in honor of Tiberius Julius Celsus Polemaeanus in AD 135 by his son. The library was built to store 12,000 scrolls and to serve as monumental tomb for Celsus. The most remarkable feature is the façade, all of marble and in two levels elaborately adorned with columns, prominent aedicule, and a number of statues.

This image clips were made by myself using my own photos of Celsus library.



There are other records of libraries outside the city of Rome such as newly added Pergamum libraries, the library at Timgad in Africa, and Carthage etc,.

During Roman Empire, libraries were often built to enhance culture and civilization or demonstrate honor of emperors and public libraries became centre of culture and society. As time went by libraries became essential facilities in Rome Empire like modern world.

After reading my research guide book called "Libraries in the ancient world", I tried to find more information of libraries outside city of Rome. I read some articles and tried to find authoritative images and links. Due to lack of time, I just added information of two libraries. However, I was surprised when I looked up images of Celsus library. I took a lot of photos when I travelled Ephesus in 2003, especially library photos. My photos are well focused on remarkable features of the library Celsus. That’s why I made videorecording image by myself.

Next week, I will post reflection of my research.


Reference:


‘Plan of the library of Hadrian at Athens’ [image], 2010 from natabaea.net, viewed 13 May 2010, http://nabataea.net/hadrian2.jpg.

‘Hadrian’ 2010, Wikipedia, viewed 12 May 2010, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadrian.

‘Hadrian’ 2010, Encyclopaedia Britannica, Encyclopaedia Britannica Online Library Edition, viewed 12 May 2010.

‘Library of Hadrian’ [image], 2010, from Wikimedia, Wikipedia, viewed 13 May 2010,http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c1/Library_of_Hadrian.jpg.


Baik, Sun Young 2010, ‘Library of Celsus’ [videorecording], Sun Young Baik, Melbourne.


1 comment:

  1. Great stuff Sun Young. I love how you've included your own photos!

    ReplyDelete